Get ready for a traffic change on highway 160. I reported at the beginning of the month the Tega Cay Wal-Mart will open March 17th. I went to the new Wal-Mart site today and caught the employees (sorry associates) coming back from a lunch break. I asked several associates when will the store open. All associates answered the same, Friday March 7th.
The Wal-Mart sign is up, merchandise is arriving and stocked daily so get ready to shop, fight traffic, etc. The store does not come without controversy. Manly locals fought hard to keep Wal-Mart from coming. They obviously lost. Tega Cay annexed the development and pushed for harsh architectural standards. I will say the store has a very unique front.
Will there you have it. On March 7th you can stay away or shop to you drop.
Here is a store?fact list from Walmartstores.com
Store fast facts
- Location: 1151 Stonecrest Blvd., Tega Cay, S.C.
- 203,000-square-foot Wal-Mart Supercenter
- Grand opening celebration: 7:30 a.m., Friday, March 7
- Store manager: Mark Anderson
$18,000 in charitable contributions to 10 area organizations:
- Boys and Girls Club of York County
- Carolina Community Care, Inc.
- City of Tega Cay
- Gold Hill Elementary School
- I’m a Kool Kid Foundation
- Gold Hill Middle School
- Habitat For Humanity International, Inc.
- Fort Mill High School
- Rock Hill Parks Foundation
- The Salvation Army
- Unique streetscape fa?ade and extensive landscaping including gazebos, fountains, pagodas, park benches, and planters.
- Full line of groceries, beer and wine, bakery goods, deli foods, frozen foods, meat and dairy products, fresh produce, apparel and accessories, fine jewelry, Tire & Lube Express, expanded lawn and garden center, health and beauty aids, expanded electronics and home entertainment department, toys, one-hour photo lab, vision center, pharmacy and Wal-Mart Connect Center.
- Additionally, leased areas in the store include SmartStyle Family Hair Salon, a Regal Nail Salon, a Woodforest Bank branch and a Subway restaurant.
- The new Supercenter will be open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- The store plans to employ approximately 350 associates.
- The average wage at Wal-Mart for full-time hourly associates in South Carolina is $10.77 per hour.*
- Store Manager Mark Anderson began his Wal-Mart career in 1998 at a Wal-Mart store in Spartanburg.
- Wal-Mart benefits – available to eligible full- and part-time associates – include healthcare insurance with no lifetime maximum. Wal-Mart also offers a 401(k) plan and profit sharing contributions, whether an associate contributes or not, store discount cards, company performance-based bonuses, stock purchase program and life insurance.
* Average wage taken February 2008. See www.walmartfacts.com for details.
For more information
- Store manager: Mark Anderson, 803-578-4140
- Wal-Mart information online: www.walmartfacts.com; merchandise sales: www.walmart.com